Even though wire ropes are strong and reliable does not mean they are unbreakable. They can break or damage due to constant pressure or overuse. When using wire ropes you want to make sure to check them daily for damage and wear.
There are many reasons why wire breaks, and we’re here to tell you the most common causes.
Common Causes of Breakage
Safety is always the most important factor of any company that works with wire rope.
- Improper installation – this also causes kinks in the wire
- Lack of lubrication for long periods of time
- Exposure to heat and moisture for extended periods of time
- Constant bending – fatigue happens with normal operations
- Wear where sheaves and drums come in contact with the rope
- Using stiff or frozen ropes
- Neglecting weight charts and overloading loads
- Spooling onto multilayer drums
- Crushing, dragging or cutting rope
You can avoid the above problems by practicing proper rope maintenance procedures. On the other hand, some issues cannot be avoided so frequent inspections and checks should be done to ensure the wire rope is safe for use.
If you are worried about the conditions of your wire rope, you can implement a statutory life policy. This states that your ropes are to be retired at predetermined dates. Or you can do a retirement clause – which will allow you to use cables until they have deteriorated beyond a certain point.
Silver State Wire Rope and Rigging
Don’t wait until your wire ropes are damaged and broken, keep up with the health of your ropes! If you think you’re due for new wire ropes or an inspection, call the experts at Silver State Wire Rope and Rigging! We have a reputation for our high-quality, well-informed solutions, efficiency, and professionalism. Call us for all your wire rope needs!